Monday, April 13, 2015

UPDATED RESEARCH-INTERVIEWS

I interviewed queer students who gave us an insight into being queer in high school.

Alexis is genderqueer, Nate is FTM transgender, and Candice is a lesbian.

ALEXIS
Q: What is it like being genderqueer?
A: Complicated for others, easier for me. I understand myself, it's harder to deal with the lack of acceptance and understanding from others. The most frustrating part is people's lack of willingness to learn or hear me out.
Q: How do you go about your relationship with Nate?
I've been dating Nate a long time, and when I first met him I wasn't sure about my gender or sexuality. I hadn't thought about it. I was really confused, but finally realized that I liked him. I realized that gender isn't as rigid and black and white as we think it is, and that allowed me to open up and learn more about myself. Sometimes I feel more masculine, sometimes more feminine, so Nate just calls me his "goyfriend", a mixture of girl and boyfriend. It's easier that way, and it's cute and clever. 



NATE:
Q: What's the hardest part about being transgender in a high school?
A: How much my biological sex comes up on a daily basis. Having to write my name on papers, fill out forms, getting called on by unsupportive teachers who use my birth name. The weird stares I get and the whispers. Getting misgendered every day.
Q: What keeps you going?
A: Most of my friends are queer themselves, so I have a support group with me all day long. We all take care of each other. 


CANDICE
Q: How do you deal with not knowing if a girl you're interested is attracted to girls or not?
A: I am really open about my sexuality, so most girls know that I am gay already, or it comes up. Usually this leads to them opening up about their sexuality as well. It's all about communication, I speak up and the person speaks back.
Q: Have you ever had a problem with someone at school in terms of your sexuality?
A: Never directly, i'm sure people say things behind my back. I think my confidence scares them so I never receive direct abuse or bullying. The things that affect me is the general stuff, when I overhear people making homophobic remarks and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment